Monday, March 10, 2008

Day 15: Can you feel the Love tonight?

Woke up today at 11.20a.m. Came online to check my mail and work on my new Utopia Account. Left the house at 12p.m. for lunch and the interview for the position of events coordinator at Aljunied, Yong Da building.

Thank god I was early, there was a couple more people there. The receptionist handed me a form and a clipboard and ask me to complete it, hand it to her and wait for the interview. I did as was told and handed the form over to here and sat waiting for my turn. There were some people there filling the forms too and I realized to my horror that there was a couple more questions at the back of the application form and I have forgotten to fill up that huge chunk! Then at the impeccable timing, I was called to the interview room.

Well a lady in her thirties greeted me. She then went on to brief and ask me questions based on the form. I found that she speaks quite fast, giving me the impression of a well-rehearsed speech and must be well trained in sales since she appeared rather bold and fearless. She twist her words saying that "firstly to be an events coordinator you must learn about events. Hence we will be sending you to different roadshows or other type of function to learn there first. Then we will move you to smaller events like Fun fairs, career fairs and the likes and finally if your capable to manage bigger, more prestigious events."

To the common blur people out there that have not done door-to-door sales before, I would like to say that it is just a load of Busht. Do not believe that please... They are just gonna make you help out at roadshows and IT fairs as runners and give you a crazy minimum pay till you leave. Got big event still call small fry manage meh? Sha de...

She said... "First two months you will be paid $1200 to $1400" which to a person that became the youngest team leader ever in a outdoor sales company means you will be paid $1200, nothing more. "Then after the first two months you will be paid at a $1500 or more depending on performance." which means that you can go ahead and dream because Im going to NS how to work more then 2 months... She knows it but she's just trying to distract my thoughts and paint a nice picture. She asked me to go down for an orientation tomorrow at 8.45a.m. tomorrow and one of the leaders will bring me around. That is exactly what happen when I went for my out-door sales. I tagged along with a leader, Getty.

Well well... Nothing much, hence after the interview, I made my way down to the salvation army. There was no drum set in sight hence I approached the office. Major Ruth Pascoe was not around but in the office was a girl in her early twenties that doesn't look local and doesn't look bad. I asked her about the drum set, she made a call and then lead me to the fellowship hall where she opened a locked room and the both of us brought out the drums sets. We had a nice conversation where she told me she plays the guitar and I told her that she can drop by later when she have the time. Spend the rest of my time playing the drum and practicing my moves till 7.00p.m. at the salvation army. Decided to leave then.

However, as I was walking past the indoor basketball court, I noticed two guys playing inside, two tall, huge foreign guys. I went in and chatted with them, asking them about the cost of booking the court for a game of basketball. Turns out that one of the guy was the person who runs the facility and whom played professional basketball once. He told me of a basketball league which he intend to set up, some sort of a summer competition. There will be Kids from the american school and other forgeiners, there will be kids coming from Korea and local kids playing in the league. I told him that I may have a team too. He welcomed me to join in and I told him that I will consider. In actual fact, I was thinking of the guys playing basketball downstairs... not some professional teams.

Came back home and had a good chat with ZhongKai and Yong Lee. Just then I received a call from a tele-communication company asking me to come down for an 1 hour briefing tomorrow at harbour front. Apparently Zhong Kai has recommended me to this job and they decided that they want to hire me. Well I'll take that i guess and skip the events coordinator job. At least I get to sleep late one more day. As I was talking to Zhong Kai and Yong Lee both of whom works at the company before, I asked them about the job detail and from what they say, the job seemed pretty decent.

Came home, spoke to my mother who came back from Genting and we spoke about her experience there. There are still many good things that she have not tried and I will introduce them to her the next time. I wonder how things will go tomorrow.

Praise the Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home