Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Day 23: First day at work

Woke up at 7.10a.m. today, bathe and had breakfast and left the house at 7.40a.m. The train was packed like a can of sardine. Made a mental note to myself to leave the house slightly earlier like at 7.30 to see how the situation is like.

Reach the office at around 8.45a.m. There was no one around so I sat in one of the meeting room waiting for Angela to breif me on where to sit and what to work on. Believe it or not, no one came into the office till 8.55a.m, work officially starts at 9.00p.m. So well she came in, gave me a list to work on, got a table for myself with a nice computer, a nice phone and a nice view of some Chio Bus so I was naturally contended. Made the first call within 5 mins.

It was a total fluke. I was so unprepared on what to tell the other person on the other line that I keep stammering and stuttering. Of course, that person did not reveal to me the names of the CEO, managing director, head of vaccine manufacturing or head of business development. No fools would! But after that call, I had a better idea of how to start my conversation and wrote it down on the paper.

For the rest of the call, it was a simple task of chanting what is on the paper that I wrote on, typing in the details of the people and adding comments at the back. I finished the excel sheet in by about 4.00p.m. By that time I was growing bolder and bolder in my conversation and manage to have some fun.

Lunch was at two slot, 12 to 1, or 1 to 2. I choose the one at 1 to 2. Have to eat lunch alone so it was pretty sad, I went to the hawker center opposite and dabao chai fun back to the office pantry, then sat at my desk and slacked till 2pm. before starting work again. The working condition does not support the making of friends. Seating all around me are executives person looking grouchy and slamming the phone, making angry remarks it is a little tense all around me.

Anyway got another list from this guy call Sebestian. This was easier to work with everything was there already all the contact and email and addresses, I have to verify them. Did not finish by 6p.m. which is my knock off time though and will continue the next day.

Today I made a lot of international calls. *Vomitted blood when I speak to people from some country... mainly India, Vietnam and France. The people in India I speak to simply transferred me the moment I said "Hello! My name is Chee Han" and they will reply "Oh give me a second sir" and I will be transferred to another person. There seems to be not much of Enlish speaking people in Vietnam because when I call them, there will be a language barrier because we both could not understand it other so the whole conversation will be like... "Huh? What did you say... ok... ya... Mr Anderson... What that is the address? No wait... Who is that person? Whats his name.... Huh?... Uh huh... No wait..." yea you know what I mean. And last but not least... The people I spoke to in France will usually direct me to someone from anther country. So it goes like this..."Hi, My name is Chee Han, can I speak to a Chief executive officier or managing director in your office?" and they would go like "Oh I'm sorry I don't speak English really well... I will direct you to this person in the Head office in London, she speaks very well and can understand you... her name is ____" -_-' France to London!

Anway... its $63 dollar earned for a hard day work. God bless me with a good day tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home